The Roland VC-1-SH SDI to HDMI Video Converter allows SDI video to be monitored using relatively inexpensive HDMI-equipped displays, and can also serve and an audio embedder and de-embedder. The internal processing has been designed to faithfully preserve the incoming SDI signal and frame rate without introducing interlacing artifacts, signal errors, or reducing the dynamic range of the image. The SDI signal is re-clocked before processing to help ensure best performance.
The VC-1-SH features an SDI input that supports 3G-SDI, HD-SDI, and SD-SDI. A hybrid balanced stereo analog and AES3 audio input allows additional audio sources to be embedded in the HDMI output. For local monitoring there is an HDMI out that can be used with standard, consumer-grade HDMI displays. In addition, the there is an SDI loop-out that also passes any newly embedded audio. A hybrid analog/AES audio output allows you to locally monitor any embedded audio in case audio output is not provided by the HDMI display–this includes audio embedded within the VC-1-SH.
- Audio Embedding and De-Embedding
- Two 1/4″ TRS inputs forming a L/R stereo pair allow a balanced analog or AES3 digital audio signal (using only the “R” input) to be embedded in the SDI stream, along with any existing embedded audio. Once imbedded, the audio is passed to the HDMI output as well as the SDI loop-out. In addition, all embedded audio is output through two more 1/4″ TRS jacks either as stereo analog or AES3 digital (through the “R” output). This feature means the VC-1-SH can serve as a standalone audio embedded/de-embedder as well as a video converter
- Re-Clocked SDI Inputs
- Re-clocking is applied to the SDI inputs. Reclocking rebuilds the signal following attenuation do to longer cable runs and is designed to help ensure error-free performance as well as minimize signal dropouts
- 3G-SDI Level A and Level B Support
- Part of the SMPTE 424M specification, Level A transports up to 60 progressive frames while Level B implements a multiplexing scheme that combines two stream of 50 or 60 Hz interlaced video. Support for both variants helps ensure this device will be widely compatible with 3G-SDI video equipment
- Mac and Windows Configurable
- Using the VC-1 RCS control application, available for free download from Roland, you can configure the VC-1-SH with more refined parameters than are available on the unit itself