The Tascam DR-100mkIII is a linear PCM recorder which supports 24-bit/192 kHz recording resolution and is able to record MP3 and WAV files—even at the same time, in dual-recording mode. A different dual-recording mode allows you to record a lower-level safety track in case the initial recording clips, and XRI mode will write the settings used to record the track within the file itself; recorder, mics, level, low-cut filter implementation, limiter, and pad will be represented therein, making your editor’s or post-production engineer’s life a lot easier.
The recorder utilizes AKM AK4558 converters, offers a 109 dB signal-to-noise ratio, sports a temperature-compensated clock, and includes a built-in limiter, variable low-cut filter, and pad. The built-in mic operates in an A/B pattern, and two combination jacks with low-noise HDDA mic preamps can accept XLR and 1/4″ terminations. This unit records to SDXC cards up to 128GB in size, and runs on a combination of a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and AA batteries, allowing you to swap the disposable power supply while recording without disrupting the process of capturing audio.
- Notable Features
- Up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording resolution
- Dual-mono AKM AK4558 converters can be run in “Dual ADC mode” to secure a 109 dB signal-to-noise ratio
- Low-noise HDDA microphone preamps combine discrete performance with digital gain settings
- Dual-battery design uses a built-in lithium-ion rechargeable and AA batteries for extended recording times (you can also swap AAs during recording)
- Dual-recording mode captures a low-level safety track to prevent distorted takes
- Temperature-compensated sample clock (TCXO) with 1ppm accuracy
- 1/8″ stereo input with plug-in power
- 1/8″ S/PDIF digital input (with included phono adapter)
- Limiter and low-cut filter (40 / 80 / 120 / 220 Hz)
- A second dual-record mode captures WAV and MP3 files simultaneously
- XRI mode writes recording settings to the file, such as recorder, mics, level, low-cut filter, limiter, and pad
- Five dedicated switches and numerous buttons reduce menu-diving to confirm settings
- Remote input supports TASCAM RC-10 and RC-3F wired remote controls