Marantz Professional 6-Channel DSLR Recorder with up to 96 kHz/24-Bit Resolution
The Marantz Professional PMD-706 is a six-channel recorder designed for professionals working with DSLR cameras. Recording audio at sample rates and resolutions up to 96 kHz/24-bit, it’s designed to attach to a camera, a camera rig, or to double as a dedicated, unattached field recorder. The device accepts SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards, housing up to 128GB of recorded audio. Its battery lasts approximately 5.5 hours in the field (with phantom power off).
Marantz Professional’s high-definition, discrete microphone preamps are provided, as are four combination XLR-1/4” input jacks that can handle mic- and line-level sources—with or without phantom power. Two 1/4″ TRS jacks are also supplied, in addition to a 3.5mm TRS input that further expands its functionality.
A dual-recording function allows you to record two tracks, one at a hotter level, and the other at a reduced level; in this manner, you can safeguard against accidental clipping, such as when a person in the shot starts yelling without warning, or for no reason whatsoever. You can utilize this dual-recording feature to create a total of three safety tracks. Included with the PMD-706 are breakout cables for converting 1/4″ to balanced female XLR connections; these can be used with the unit’s TRS jacks.
Key Features at a Glance
- 6-channel recording up to 96 kHz/24-bit
- SD/SDHC/SDXC recording media
- 4 x XLR/TRS combo jacks for mic- and line-level inputs
- High-definition, discrete microphone preamps
- 2 x 1/4″ TRS jacks for line-level inputs
- 48V phantom power for condenser microphones
- Low-cut filter (5 positions), limiting function, and M/S microphone decoding
- Dual-recording mode creates a duplicate track at a reduced level (safety track); a total of three safety tracks is possible
- 3.5mm stereo jack with plug-in power for consumer microphones
- DSLR camera-mounting bracket
- Tripod-mounting socket on bottom of recorder